I was busy PLAYING last week, gathering with family for extended Christmas gatherings, and hanging out with friends in a Northwoods cabin and reveling in the first snow of the season with long snowshoe hikes.
This coming Sunday afternoon is going to be my first opportunity for some self-reflection.
Here are some of the questions I’ll be considering.
I offer them to you for your journaling. Please, no guilt if you don’t answer ALL of them – there are a lot of them.
I gathered them from a variety of places over the years, and they are simply a jumping off point for your own time of self-reflection.
So, if you are still drinking wine in the new year, pour yourself a glass, (otherwise, a cup of hot herbal tea works great, too) and cozy up to the fire, and get out your journal and settle in…
Completion: The Year in Review
Take a moment to investigate all the magical moments, all the things that went WELL in 2015.
- What inspired you during the last 12 months?
- What were your enthusiasms, accomplishments, creations and joys?
- What are you grateful for, what can you celebrate?
- How have you been changed by all this goodness in your life?
- What do you notice about any of these spectacular moments you experienced in 2015? Themes or patterns?
- What insights do these themes or patterns offer you for moving forward with more ease?
Take a moment to recognize and grieve your sorrows and disappointments of 2015.
- What have you struggled against?
- Where did you make your life more complicated or difficult than it had to be?
- What needs to be let go of; what could be forgiven?
- What are you leaving unresolved or unfinished that needs your attention?
- How have you been changed by these sorrows or disappointments?
- What is something you can learn from each of them? What is the gift each of them offers you?
Creating Your Future
Designing a thriving life begins by examining what is happening for you now, and taking a heart-centered look at what you really want, for your future-self, in some key areas of life: relationships, career, finances, health, and personal growth.
- What does an ideal relationship with _____ (insert: mother, father, brother, sister, co-workers, lover, friends) look like and feel like? What would you like to have start happening or stop happening in your relationship?
- If a miracle happened tonight while you slept, and solved this relationship struggle, what would be different tomorrow?
- If you were to take responsibility for your role in the relationship challenge, in what ways are you contributing to the situation?
- Maybe you are not accepting someone you love for who they really are?
- Perhaps you diminish other people to make yourself feel better?
- Do you allow other people to cross your boundaries?
- Perhaps you get too caught up in other people’s problems?
- Maybe you afraid to show or express love?
- Create a job description that is a perfect fit for who you are. What makes this ideal job significant or fulfilling to you?
- What are the top five strengths you bring to the workplace and how do they benefit and serve those on your team or those you lead?
- What needs to change about who you are for your career to go where it needs to go?
- What changes would make work an adventure again, instead of drudgery?
- What is going on in your financial life? What’s got your attention?
- What would you like to see change this year in your finances?
- How are you being irresponsible or unwise financially?
- What are your financial successes; in what ways are you being responsible and wise?
- How satisfied are you with your overall health and sense of wellbeing?
- Where are you feeling successful on your path to health? What are you tolerating or coping with in this area?
- Are there ways in which you are mistreating your body or compromising your health?
- What are the ways you are treating yourself well and with the best of intentions and actions?
- How satisfied are you with the kind and amount of rest and recreation you have in your life?
- Where do you need to take better care of your mind, emotions, or body?
- Where and how are you holding yourself back?
- Where in your life have you been practicing the most trust?
- If you were more engaged with life, what would that look like and feel like?
- Where or how are you making choices based on “I should” rather than “I desire”?
- What can you do to demonstrate greater levels of self-love, self-appreciation, and self-compassion for yourself?
- What has your intuition been telling you that you might be ignoring?
- What makes you consistently happy and how can you do more of this?
Hello 2016: Your Future Starts with You
- What has you feeling excited and inspired about 2016?
- What wishes, longings, or creations will you be bringing into being or engaging in some way?
- If you could sum up all your desires and longings in one simple statement spoken from the highest aspect of yourself, what would it be?
- If you were to give your dreams, goals, wishes a theme for 2016, what would it be?
- What are your top three priorities for 2016? What intentions, commitments, and goals are you willing to set?
- What actions are you willing to commit to in order to achieve your goals?
- What daily choices do you need to make to have these actions become a regular part of your next weeks and months?
- Where do you need more learning or skills in order to make the next leap forward?
Let’s pretend you’ve turned the last page on the 2016 calendar. You are standing there looking back over the year. What is it you will have wished you had done, had stayed true to, and had been willing to see through until the end? Why? What will you have gained by following your dreams?
I’d love to support you in your creation of an AMAZING 2016! I am happy to brainstorm with you as you uncover your dreams and wishes for this brand-new year! Please connect with me here.