Two days ago, I talked about getting comfortable and embracing your emotions – the ones we don’t always like to cozy up to – anger, sadness, and fear. Yesterday, I talked about tuning into our hearts to embrace our emotions. And today, I want to emphasize the importance of getting comfortable with feeling good.
Often we live with the idea we can’t get tooooo happy, otherwise, as the saying goes, “the other shoe will drop” and this hesitation to embrace joy feeds our anxiety as well.
The Power of Positive Emotions:
Optimism and gratitude are two powerful positive emotions which help loosen the lingering hold of negativity. When we are able to acknowledge all the things which are going well for us; when we are able to appreciate all the gifts: fresh air, glorious Fall color, running water, our health, our morning coffee; we are able to broaden the way we think about what is happening in our lives, and what we do as a result of our thoughts.
The truth is happier people are more creative, flexible, and able to find out-of-the box solutions to the problems life throws at them. While most of us envision happier people as Pollyanna-ish optimists who always look on the bright side and aren’t prepared in a crisis, the reality is that it’s the pessimists who lack the skills and insights to bounce back after the inevitable upsets that are part of work and life.
When you live with emotions like joy, satisfaction, and contentment in your heart, the actions you take will be motivated by playfulness, appreciation, exploration, and the impulse to be creative. You’ll likely find yourself more generous and loving to yourself and others and willing to let go of old stuff habits and patterns which no longer serve you.
Research shows the tipping point for flourishing is 2.9 positive emotions and events for every negative emotion, situation, or event. Clearly, it is important to have a number of happiness boosting strategies at the ready.
Frequency is the key to boosting your happiness. Do something fun and engaging every day.
Creating Your Own Jolts of Joy:
I recommend you create your own list of activities which will boost your happiness towards emotions like joy, peace, contentment – however, here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Call a friend who is sure to make you laugh.
- Hug. Hug lots of people to get your natural, daily dose of oxytocin.
- Creativity: Take up knitting or quilting or painting or pottery-making.
- Buy yourself a little something special – a new hat, scarf, or pair of earring.
- Lose yourself in nature; find hiking trails you’ve never explored before.
- Sign-up for cooking classes or join a monthly wine-tasting club.
- Gather your friends for a night out … head out for some live music.
- Spend the afternoon watching sports – support your favorite team
- Schedule a spa day and get a massage or mani-pedi.
- Consider dancing or karate or yoga classes as a way to embrace your body’s power.
- Head to the make-up counter and try out a new look for the season.
- Buy yourself some flowers – I love the pop of color brightening my dining room and my mood.
Get Happier Today!
A Time To Thrive Strategy Session is…you guessed it…a great way to jolt some joy into your life! 🙂
My goal is to help you find more success in your whole life – and guess what? One of the most effective ways to do this is get happier!
I would love to support you in creating your own Jolts of Joy list and brainstorm ways you can build time for the activities you love into your schedule.
Sign-up today for a COMPLIMENTARY, stand-alone, Time To Thrive Strategy Session, just CLICK HERE.
In less than an hour we will get crystal clear about:
- What your ideal, thriving life looks like;
- Uncover hidden challenges preventing this ideal from happening; and
- Develop some key strategies you can put to use immediately towards greater energy and vibrance.
With less than TWO days remaining – step into your joy today by scheduling a one-on-one strategy session with me!